What percentage of a person’s ideas and beliefs must you agree with to agree with them.
Do all your friends agree with you 100%? If not, are you ok being their friend?
I find myself pretty evenly split on my friend realm. I have friends who disagree with each other significantly, and I have friends I can’t entirely agree with. It doesn’t bother me. We all are tolerant of each other. A lot of that has to do with respect. And we do not make our disagreements the focus of our relationship. Also, it is important to note that none of my friends live in the fringes of society or are bigots. Families with active bigotry are difficult, I am not denying that. The tips I list below can still help.
My friendships focus on tasks, fun, sports, or we are focused on ideas or beliefs on which we agree. You can disagree with someone on one issue and agree on another.
Here are some tips for getting past disagreements with friends and family.
- Do work together. Find a project. Get to work.
- Play games: sports, board games, even online gaming.
- Exercise together.
- If you feel you have to talk about your disagreements, have a plan. Set a timer, and have an activity planned for after.
- Be a positive influence on those around you. Positivity is easy for some and requires mental prep for others.
- My last one is a bit morbid, but it is also powerful. Remember that your time is limited, and focus on the things that matter.
We are all different. We can all get along. When we do get along, we get a lot more done and move all things forward.